Friday, October 21, 2011

In the Swing of Things

Today I realized that we’ve come a long way since the kids and I first started staying at home together on July 18th.

You might remember when I tried to have a baking day a few months ago. Let’s just say, it didn’t go so well. So, when today's agenda called for baking, I approached it with fairly low expectations. I also knew that I was going to need to operate in shifts, which worked out well since the recipe I chose required three different steps. I’m happy to report that I finished all of the things I wanted to, there were no kid issues and everything (well, almost everything) was cleaned up before dinner. Yes, it took me five hours to make two things that would have normally taken 2, but it was actually kind of an enjoyable afternoon!

Another sign that we are all settling in to our new life – I have found how to keep all three children occupied so I have some time to get things done around the house (like baking). J will sit in front the TV at any given time of the day, which makes me feel a little guilty but a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do! L has found a new favorite pastime – playing in the sink. We turn on the water, put a bowl, cup, ladle, turkey baster, etc and she is entertained for at least an hour. I’ve also figured out that E likes to sit in her new highchair and watch me cook and L play in the water. I realize thithese aren't super creative activities for anyone but it helps L with her gross motor skills (and she clearly loves it) and E gets to play with toys and help strengthen her neck muscles (yes, I am trying to make myself feel better and justify having my children entertain themselves!)

I also realized this week how different our family dinners have become since we started all sitting down together a year ago. At first, it was a mess – kids crying, food, being spilled, mom and dad up the whole time getting something and not being able to eat. Lately, we’ve been sitting down for dinner Sunday – Thursday as a whole family (even E sits at the table with us). As a result, the kids have found they like many of the same things that hubby and I have (some of their favorites are asparagus and couscous!) and we actually have a conversation! I’ve learned that the younger you start them at the family dinner table, the easier it is for them to understand the ‘rules’ (E is already learning her manners).

I’m not certain if things running smoothly is a result of my stellar parenting skills or simply that we’ve become used to our new routines. Either way – I’m not complaining!

Lessons I learned today:
·       Salted Caramel Bars are so good that when you take a bite you close your eyes (that’s some good stuff!)
·       Having out-of-town guests has the same effect on my kids as eating a candy bar – they turn in to crazy hyper kids (no, they did not eat the Salted Caramel Bars!).
·       It takes about three months to settle into a new routine with kids – something to remember the next time we will be making a big change.

No comments:

Post a Comment