Sunday, October 16, 2011

On the Potty Train

I have been procrastinating pulling the trigger on potty training L for about a month now just because I couldn’t commit an entire day to being at home, near a potty. Turns out, she didn’t need a whole day. Thursday after waking up from her nap she announced she wanted to pee on the potty and wear big girl panties. Mission potty training is underway and stage one is complete (still working on stage ‘two’ if you know what I mean).  Our stats for the weekend:

·         # of accidents (not counting the #2’s) = 2
·         # of trips to the bathroom = countless
·         # of changes of clothes (because of wet sleeves from washing hands) = see trips to bathroom
·         # of M & M’s and Skittles consumed = # of trips to the bathroom x 2

Going out of the house has become quite interesting. Not only do I have to think about having all of the necessary emergency items but I am getting to see the inside of each bathroom of every place we’ve been (sometimes more than once). Much of our potty adventure is due to the novelty of getting to use the ‘big girl potty’ which means we get to leave the dinner table AND wash our hands – which clearly are very exciting things for a 2 year old!

The last several weeks of partying has allowed me the privilege of seeing the inside of many washrooms around the country and I’ve realized a few things.

1.     I do not appreciate bathroom attendants. I am capable of getting my own paper towels and I do not like having someone watch me check myself out in the mirror!
2.     I DO appreciate clean facilities. There really is little worse than a dirty bathroom (especially dirty public ones – eeww!).
3.     Using the facilities where there are women who have been over-served gets less and less entertaining the older I get.
4.     Teaching public restroom etiquette to a two year old is going to be interesting.

Lessons I learned this weekend:
·       Potty training girls really IS easier than boys!
·       Living like a rock star for 6 weeks is long enough. Time to go back to my normal life.
·       Seeing the sense of accomplishment in my kids eyes, as I have with L this weekend, is reward enough for this momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment