Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Praise or Punish?

Reminded today that, regardless of our age, we all need positive reinforcement.

While at that the gym one of my workout-mates complimented me on the results of all my hard work. MADE MY DAY. It also made me work extra hard while I was there and motivated me to stay on my healthy eating routine. I realized that I might be approaching this parenting thing the wrong way for some things.

I have to admit, the potty training thing with L has taken a turn for the worse. Have I mentioned that I like a clean house? In other words, pee on the floor doesn’t make me happy! So my natural reaction to an accident is to punish. Today I put her in timeout and made her clean the floor with a wipe (after I had cleaned it thouroughly). I'm not totally convinced that she isn't trained to pee on the toilet - part of me thinks that she is peeing in random places to get my attention (it's working!).  I’m re-thinking my strategy after my moment of workout praise. Should be showering L with kudos and brushing over the mistakes? I agree with praising children when they do the right thing but I do not think that overlooking their tantrums and misbehaving are good for them. Once again, I sure do wish I had a manual for this whole parenthood thing. If someone finds it, please share!

Lessons I learned today:
·       When a loved one is sick, hearing the phone ring is antagonizing. Prayers welcomed.
·      Pinterest has some great ideas when in a pinch for treats for a 2 year-old Harvest Party (http://pinterest.com/pin/229754018459669127/)
·       Praise and punishment both have a place in parenting, finding the balance between the two is why we make the big bucks J

No comments:

Post a Comment