Thursday, September 8, 2011

Singing My Praises

One of the biggest differences as a stay-at-home mom from the professional world that any mom (working or not) can attest, is the amount of praise you get for the job you do.

As I think I’ve shared previously, I am a very competitive person - I like to win, I like to get my way and I like it when my children do as I say. As a SAHM I’m pretty sure I’m not ‘winning’ any races, I sure don’t get my way very often, nor do my children choose to listen to me all the time. But surprisingly, at the end of the day I feel pretty successful.

Anything I do, I try to do it to the best of my ability - not because I think that anyone else expects it of me but simply because I expect it of myself. Let’s take my organizing project, for example. I’m currently on day 2 and haven’t progressed passed the kitchen workspace and pantry (which is kind of the workspace annex, what with the printer, printer paper and all). When hubby got home tonight I was sure to parade him through all of my stellar accomplishments for the day.

I also have to admit that it makes me pretty happy when out of the blue J tells me that I’m a good mom. I’m not sure why he says it. It’s usually not right after I’ve corrected his manners or prepared an especially healthy lunch for him. But it still makes my heart smile.

I came across this article (http://www.morningsun.net/living/x934432237/The-Invisible-Mother)  today, posted by a friend on FB, and I thought it was particularly piognent. It was also the inspiration for today’s blog topic. I hope that all of the moms out there take heed and know that I’m giving you tons of kudos for the job you do!

Lessons I learned today
·       The large purse contains lots of treasures to keep L busy during car line – today it was a comb
·       Rainy days, with good naps and some mellow music make for some kind, well-behaved children
·       Getting to know my kids better and watch them play during the day is praise enough for this job

No comments:

Post a Comment