Saturday, September 10, 2011

What a Difference a Year Makes

Like many, I am a Facebook user and I’ve noticed they have added a new feature about your post a year ago today – whenever it shows up on my page I think about how little has changed in my daily routine (1st Pumpkin Spice Latte of the year a year ago today and interestingly today I had my first Pumpkin Spice Latte for this year).

Today, however, it was clear how much really has changed this past year.  Besides the obvious – retired from my job and had another kid - today J had a soccer game and it really hit home. Last year (when he was almost 3 and we admittedly started him too early at a sport he had really no exposure to), J was a mess on the soccer field. He was fine at practice, just kicking the ball around but when game time came he barely saw the field. It was so bad that hubby wasn’t allowed to go anywhere near J during the games because he would get so mad that J would cry instead of play ball.

We’re two games into this season and the change is astonishing. J is much more aggressive and very into the game, even when on the sideline. Change doesn’t happen easily though  and during his first game we saw a lot of tears. Granted, it was while he was playing (and in 4 instances while he scored a goal), but there way crying for a majority of the time he was in. Today, I’m happy to report, there were tears only at the very end (after he got robbed of a goal and pushed onto the ground – 4 year old soccer is rough!).

A year ago I was about 2 minutes pregnant with E who is now almost 6 months old and is growing like a weed. Also a year ago we were getting a full night of sleep on a regular basis in our house – not so much these days. Both L & E have taken to waking up multiple times during the night which makes for a tired mommy and daddy.

I wonder what we will be doing a year from now… planning J’s 5th birthday party (wow, really?), watching J AND L play soccer on Saturdays, chasing E as she runs around the house. One thing I know for sure, every year at this time I will take a moment to remember all of those lost on 9-11.

Lessons I learned today:
·         The salmon at Longhorn is surprisingly yummy
·         L is quite the monster when she doesn’t get her proper nap
·         ‘They’ (whoever they are) are right – the days are long but the years go by SO quickly

No comments:

Post a Comment