Sunday, September 11, 2011

What I Miss Most

Since I’ve ‘retired’ many people have asked what I miss most about working. I didn’t really have one thing that I missed the MOST. Of course, I miss the people – many of whom I’ve known for over a decade, I miss the intellectual stimulation, I miss the adult conversations & laughs. But there wasn’t one thing that was tugging at my heartstrings pulling me back into the corporate world. Until yesterday.
I’ve been accumulating fall/ winter wardrobes for the kids and sprinkling in a couple of non-professional items for myself. Plus, I was in need of a special occasion dress for a wedding hubby and I are going to this weekend. So, yesterday I was running these errands and went to DSW (Designer Show Warehouse – for those that aren’t familiar it’s HUGE and has all kinds of designer shoes, even high end selections). It was the first time since I quit that I wished I was still working. I miss all those fancy shoes!! I have kept a couple of my favorites (which I haven’t worn once since I left work) and have absolutely no reason to get any more– which makes me incredibly sad (I did try on several pair knowing that I had no need to buy them, but they were so cute on!). I walked out of DSW with a $21 purchase (using my $10 reward certificate), which was the smallest amount I have ever spent there.

I recognize that buying shoes is not a good reason to go back to work. I also realize that if this is the thing I miss most about working, I made the right decision to stay at home with my munchkins. I am pretty sure, however; that I will continue to covet a good pair of shoes and probably make a few excuses to continue acquiring new ones (and I wonder why my children like shoes…).

Lessons I learned today:
·         I will get emotional on this day each year and I’m okay with that
·         Dress kids in layers (or bring extra clothes with me) for outdoor evening meals in September
·         The size of my shoe wardrobe has decreased but my love for shoes has not

No comments:

Post a Comment