Saturday, July 30, 2011

Check Please!

Eating out is one of my favorite things to do in the whole world (well, really anything regarding food ranks pretty high up there on my list!). Therefore, I was resolute when we started having kids that we would take them out early and often so they could learn restaurant etiquette.

In fact, 4 days after J was born I was out with my grandmother and mother for a ladies lunch (granted, I had been on bed rest for 3 ½ months and was going insane inside my house!). As we all know, taking a newborn out to eat, or anywhere for that matter, is pretty easy. Then those sweet little cherubs become toddlers and get an opinion (don’t they know that children should be seen and not heard?). But we hold strong, still going out – making sure they know whose boss (oh wait, I’m pretty sure that is exactly what they are thinking as they scream at the top of their lungs in the restaurant).

Today, we had two restaurant adventures. The first was out to breakfast – one of my husband’s favorite things to do on the weekends. This evening we had to get ready for vacation next week so we ventured out again for dinner (opting for a less fancy place then originally intended given the nastiness going on with J & L). Again, J & L did really well at dinner – eating pretty much everything they ordered (plus grapes and most of my salad) and didn’t cause any scenes, a surprise given their whining earlier.

I can’t believe that I haven’t perfected the dinner diaper bag packing routine after three kids (maybe it’s because I refuse to carry a diaper bag, opting for my very stylish and not-as-practical Louis Vuitton). Tonight I was proud to remember diapers for all who needed them and wipes (which I promise I will carry even after my kids are grown), but I forgot a bottle for E (knowing that she would be hungry just about dinner time). I really like being right, but not in this instance! Good thing I’m nursing still and can feed on demand, right? Well, I also forgot a nursing cape, blanket or anything that could provide shelter. So, a paper napkin had to suffice – NOT! E is getting pretty strong and fidgety and managed to shred the napkin into pieces removing any privacy I was hoping for. After it was all said and done, I’m sure glad I ordered a glass of wine with dinner!

While the eateries I frequent with my family are not my idea of fine-dining (I am very thankful for my foodie friends who allow me to join them for dinner every month to enjoy some good eats!), I do appreciate being able to order off a menu and an adult beverage when out with my family. I am also proud of J & L who, for the most part, do really well when we eat out. I’m looking forward to being able to eat my food one forkful at a time instead of shoveling the food down for fear any kid will lose it at any moment.

I really enjoy cooking and so usually only eat out on the weekends – I do not, however; enjoy when my children don’t eat what I serve (or my no-so-adventurous hubby). I also do not seem to be enjoying cooking breakfast, lunch, snack AND dinner (with about a 70% success rate of being eaten). I feel that I have lost almost all creativity in menu planning. I recently bought a couple of family cookbooks (one of the many things I like to collect) and have started browsing blogs and cooking websites to get ideas --- now it’s just a matter of executing. I have also created a list of all day-time menu possibilities so that I don’t end up feeding my kids hot dogs, cheese sticks and applesauce for every meal (divided into categories (breakfast, lunch, snack, fruit, veggie), I cross off items as I serve – it also helps me in preparing my weekly grocery list).

Lessons I learned today:
·       Buying lunch for the guys who delivered J’s new bedroom furniture to take his old stuff to the curb was worth the $$!
·       Everyone in the city decides to go to the mall on hot days.
·       A few stares from fellow restaurant-goers is made better by a yummy meal and a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment