Tuesday, July 19, 2011

An impromptu ‘Theme’ Party!

I’m guessing theme days will be few and far between but I will take what I can get (even if they aren't planned).

I fell into our ‘theme’ today by accident. For breakfast we had Bananas and mini Bagels. Then on a whim I decided to see what the library had going on today – we had 15 minutes to get out the door to make it to Toddler Time, where the kids heard a couple of Books about the jungle and they got to decorate a Bird.  So, we explored the letter B today.

My step-mom gave me a set of alphabet cookie cutters for a wedding shower (eight years ago and I finally know what to do with them!), so I decided to make PB&J and cut them into the letter B! To make it even more fun, I let the kids eat at their ‘reading table’ in the family room as a kind of picnic.

(Our letter 'B' sandwiches and a Box of raisins --- no B connection with the chips)
During nap time I took advantage of the quiet (even though the baby didn’t nap with J & L today), and cut out big letter B’s for the kids to decorate as an afternoon activity (we put everything that starts with a ‘b’ on our big letter ‘B’). Then we went outside and played with all of our 'B' toys --- bikes, balls, bug nets, bubbles. While J already knew the letter 'B', he made sure to point out all that he saw while reading our bedtime story tonight!
(Our letter 'B's' decorated with balls, blue boxes, blue, brown & black; J is also showing you the monkey that he was given at the library today).

While I’m not feeling overly proud of my organizational skills or house management accomplishments, I am feeling much better about my abilities as a SAHM today.

Here are some of the lessons I learned on day #2:
·         Libraries have changed a lot since the last time I went to one (which, I’m embarrassed to admit, was decades ago).
·         You can rock an infant, cut out letter B’s and watch the Bachelorette (which fits into our theme for the day!) all at the same time!!
·         ‘Perfection’ doesn’t mean anything to a 2-year-old and an almost 4-year-old. Sometimes ‘okay’ is just enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment