Monday, August 15, 2011

Early Day = Long Day

Today started out a bit earlier than most Mondays – and certainly earlier than we were ready for on the heels of a relaxing vacation.
L was scheduled for her second set of tubes this morning. So we got up bright and early to head out to our nationally ranked Children’s Hospital – which I feel very fortunate to have literally 15 minutes from our house (not that I ever want to have a need beyond tubes to use it!). I have been lucky enough to only have to visit this place for very minor procedures and each time leave with overwhelming feelings of gratitude and sympathy. Gracious that for all intents and purposes, my children are very healthy and extremely sympathetic to the families I see who have children dealing with life and death situations.

My visit this morning gave me the serenity to help me get through this day. For several reasons, it was probably my hardest one as a SAHM yet: 1) First Monday after a week of vacation (meaning several other people could take on mommy duties throughout the day giving me many breaks), 2) An early wake-up call by E (early meaning 3 am), 3) Stress induced headache that I couldn’t shake and 4) lots of chores to ‘clean up’ after being away for a week.

Needless to say, not one of my most successful SAHM days. I’m wondering how long it takes to recover from being ‘off’ – will I be back in the game tomorrow or will it take a few extra days? The silver lining today was that all three munchkins were still tuckered from a week of playing in the sand (plus L had some extra help with anesthesia) so they all took extra-long naps (not sure I would have been able to do it otherwise).

Lessons I learned today:
·       It’s easy to entertain kids on days that aren’t 90+ degrees – just play outside for an hour or so!
·       When at Children's Hospital you can visit their pharmacy for a $1 bottle of children's tylenol.
·       It takes more than a day to recover from a week long vacation (does that mean it takes longer to recover from a longer vacation? I’m willing to find out!).

No comments:

Post a Comment