Friday, August 19, 2011

Party Dress

I often err on the side of being over-dressed in most situations. In fact, my summer uniform happens to be sundresses – which are easy to dress up or down (and are easy and comfortable with no pesky waste band to contend with). I also go shoe shopping at the beginning of every summer to buy one pair of metallic flip flops that I can wear with everything (I wear them so much that I have to throw them away at the end of the season).

So I suppose it’s not surprising that my children have started to request outfits that would put them into the ‘over dressed’ category. J has taken an affinity to collared shirts. So much so that if there isn’t one in his drawer in the morning he throws a fit (in preparation for him starting Montessori school in a few weeks (who teach independence), he now picks out his own outfits. Of course, I put the outfits together in the drawer – tshirt on top of shorts). He has long loved his ‘fancy’ shoes and asks to wear them whenever we go out (regardless if the situation merits dressing up or not).  He is often the best-dressed person in our family when we go out (I’m certain people think that I’m dressing him).

Similarly, L has started to request ‘party dresses’ in the morning when getting dressed. She also has specific ideas about which party dress she would like to wear that day – which causes some problems when she selects something that is too special to wear to the park. As with any fashion conscience diva, she also likes to accessorize. Usually with silly bands and a necklace but has recently added a sun hat and sunglasses. I have learned to plan ahead when we are leaving the house to ensure that she has all of her accoutrements. I have also learned that she gets a lot of attention when all dolled up, which means that the rest of us get attention too – so I’m sure to look in the mirror before going out to make sure everything is in it’s correct place!

So far E hasn’t requested any special wardrobe items. But I am a little worried about the precedent set by her big brother and sister. I’m also a bit worried about how our new  getting dressed routine will affect our morning schedules once school starts (before we were all at home together, I would lay out all of the kids’ clothes the night before so there was no debate or consideration about what to wear in the morning). I’m guessing I’ll have everyone make their decision before heading to bed each night to minimize the disruption in our morning routine (I’m not really a morning person so I try to minimize as much debate as possible before I finish my necessary 2 cups of coffee).

Lessons I learned today:

·       Don’t forget to set the DVR to record the new season of Project Runway! I have some making up to do next week.
·       Getting a big payday from the consignment shop provides mixed emotions (excited for the big pay day and a big sick about how much money was originally spent on all those clothes).
·       Giving kids the opportunity to pick out their own outfits provides countless smiles and memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment