Thursday, August 18, 2011

Moooommmyyyy...

I’m thinking of buying one of those counters that people working a carnival use to keep track of the number of people coming through the gates - just to count the number of times I hear ‘mommy’ in one day. I swear that it’s at LEAST 100 times before 9 AM!!

I always answer my kids when they call my name, well – when they call me ‘mommy’ (which I prefer over ‘Mom’ at this age!). I answer even if they just say ‘mommy’, even when it’s 7 times in a row with nothing to say after. Sometimes I think they just want to say my name to hear how it sounds (as if they’ve never said it before). I love that my kids always want to talk to me about something, really I do, but do they have to talk to me ALL. THE. TIME??

Of course, I like having my cake and eating it too – so when my kids fall or when they are sick, I WANT to be the person they want (like when L was coming out of anesthesia on Monday I wanted to be the first person to hold her). I also smile a bit when my ‘name’ is the first they say when they wake up in the morning (or in the middle of the night, as the case may be). BUT, at the end of the day, when I’ve heard ‘mommy’ no less than ‘one millliiiooon’ times, I am ready to change my name!

As I was thinking about this blog post, the song by Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody, kept coming to me so I Googled (since when did Googled become a ‘verb’?) the lyrics. While the whole song doesn’t really ‘speak’ to my SAHM journey, I think the first verse does a good job:

Is this the real life-
Is this just fantasy-
Caught in a landslide-
No escape from reality-
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see-
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy-
Because I'm easy come, easy go,
A little high, little low,

Lessons I learned today:
·       It’s going to be difficult to be a Bengals fan once again this year
·       An outing to Target counts as an ‘activity’ for my children (get a treat, play ‘I Spy’, etc) – fun, educational AND productive (my kind of outing!)
·       I will always love being my kids’ ‘mommy’, no matter how many times they need to say my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment