Friday, August 5, 2011

Going on Vacation!

As you all know, we leave tomorrow for a one-week vacation (not nearly long enough if you ask me). We’re planning to wake up terribly early (like 5am) to allow us to get to our destination by nap time. I’m not crazy about waking up so early, but I’m sure I’ll be happy once we get there.

My hubby is a beach vacation guy. I like beaches but not crazy about the ocean (seaweed creeps me out) or a 12+ hour drive. I also LOVE beaching-it during the day and having to wear a jacket at night – the best of both worlds (especially when it’s so hot at home).So, about 6 years ago I introduced hubby to Michigan and while he didn’t love it (we were too far north to get good beaches), he agreed to try it again 3 years ago. This time we stayed a little further south to get better beaches (and a shorter drive). I’m so excited that we’re going back at the same spot we went to last year and I can hardly wait – we’ll be able to see the sunset from our front porch.

When I was growing up, we went to this same place for summer vacation and stayed for 2 weeks. Many of the families in the neighborhood (those who owned the crazy big and pricey homes), stayed the whole summer at the lake. I’m wondering if they purposefully unplugged for that long (granted it was just the SAHM and the kids who stayed the whole summer with daddy commuting), or if times were really that different back then (like 25 whole years ago!) – no summer sports or camps?

I would say that I would love to spend the entire summer at the lake but not sure I could do it. While doing nothing has its appeal, I’m thinking that by the end of two weeks I’d be ready to get back to my to-do list (does that make me crazy?). I also think about how much we would miss at home - holiday parties, baseball games, etc. If we were ever going to do it, now would be the time since our kids are little and not involved in too many activities but I don’t see it happening. Two weeks maybe.

I am looking forward to not having to pay attention to schedules, or plan kid friendly activities. I’m wondering how many times the words ‘go play outside’ will leave my lips. I’m not at all feeling guilty about having everyone else hold the baby all day. I’m thinking about taking a nap every day (what’s a vacation without an afternoon nap?).  I might even try to get in a date night with hubby. In general, I’m going to do a whole lot of nothing – the perfect beach vacation!
Not sure if I’ll post while I’m away – so for all of my flocks of followers don’t be disappointed if you don’t hear from me for a few days.
Lessons I learned today:
·         Planning for vacation is hard work – good thing you’re about to go on vacation!
·         Packing up the car is pretty easy with so much planning ahead.
·         Getting everything in order before-hand results in maximum enjoyment while on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment