Monday, August 1, 2011

The Next Martha Stewart

I think not! Today was another day over 90 (which all of my friends in Texas tell me is no big deal – but I am having a hard time finding something to do that won’t roast the baby in her car seat), so I had to find more indoor activities to occupy the munchkins and keep them out of trouble.

After the Monday morning workout the thermometer only read 84 egrees, so I opted for an unscheduled trip to the park (a little bit of a problem as J decided to wear his ‘fancy shoes’ and L had on Crocs). I took some advice from a previous co-worker turned SAHM and literally ran J & L around in circles – we raced around the circular sidewalk 2 times (the third time was interrupted by L falling caused by her shoes  being on the wrong feet – nothing two Barbie band-aids won’t cure)!). Nap time was very successful today since everyone woke up before the sun (yes, it was a typical Monday!).

So, my indoor activity of choice today was baking. We are having a little dinner for my sister’s birthday on Wednesday so I thought I’d make ice cream and a cake, and wanted to get some cookies made for vacation next week. My kids always beg me to help out when making dinner (and I’m usually successful at finding an activity condusive to their abilities), so I thought this would be a fun thing for everyone today.

Not. So .Much. My first mistake – making raspberry sorbet with a 2 year old and 4 year old (who were still a little short on sleep). Needless to say, my crafty indoor activity didn’t last very long. My kids were troopers though (once I get an idea, I have a hard time letting go so I was determined to bake today!), and managed to play nicely together (for the most part) all afternoon… and I got all my baking finished!

Lessons I learned today:
·       As much as I sometimes like to pretend (on my rare day of ‘crafting), I will not be the next woman to build an empire making the perfect soufflé.
·       My kids seem to understand when mommy is having a bad day and magically start to behave.
·       I need to do a better job of letting go of my to-do list and making fun for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment